About Us » History
Loretto was founded in 1926 by the Syracuse Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church as the first Diocesan home for the aged in North America.
In 1976, Loretto was restructured to meet the ever-increasing needs of older adults. It became a private, charitable, not-for-profit organization and expanded its services and developed a 33-acre campus on Brighton Avenue.
Today Loretto is a leading long-term healthcare provider to more than 6,000 individuals and their families, providing a continuum of care consisting of diverse service options that can be accessed by individuals based on their current and anticipated future needs. Loretto's 22 specialized care programs are delivered at 19 locations throughout Onondaga County.
Over the past decades, the breadth and depth of Loretto's role in the community has grown as it responded to and explored the most meaningful ways to serve the needs of elders and their families. Loretto is committed to transforming elder care in Central New York by deinstitutionalizing nursing homes and long-term care services and replacing them with home-like settings featuring person-centered care.